PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences
The PhD course in Pharmaceutical Sciences, by offering interdisciplinary training, prepares students for careers in academia and advanced scientific research at a variety of institutions/companies active in the field of drug and health products. The program, which consists of both lectures and intensive experimental research, emphasizes basic as well as applied research in drug discovery and development, drug delivery and targeting, exploiting medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, phytochemistry, and analytical chemistry approaches. Students enjoy the opportunity to enroll in a variety of didactic courses and engage in multidisciplinary research activities. They will gain the knowledge and skills required not only for the rational approach to new biologically active compounds, for the discovery of novel biological pathways in human health and disease, and for the development and delivery of new medications for safe and effective therapy, but also for developing biocides, medical devices, functional foods, food supplements, cosmetic products.
The main scientific fields are summarized in the following:
- Design and synthesis of biologically active compounds
- Pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and toxicological analysis
- Drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics
- Pharmaceutical technology and legislation
- Food chemistry and food supplements
- Fermentation chemistry and biotechnology
- Advanced synthetic approaches
- Physico-chemical characterization of biologically active compounds
- Herbal drugs, botanicals and active ingredients of plant origin
- Statistical methods for experimental data processing.